In the center of the complex of the Holy Meteora there is the women’s monastery Rousanou, which covers the whole width of a small, steep cliff. Founded onto the ruins of older facilities (1529) by the brother monks and Saints Ioasaph and Maximus, who came from Ioannina.
Climbing up from the village Kastraki, on our left side, we encounter the first monastery, the Monastery of Saint Nikolaos of Anapafsá and after it the Monastery Roussanou. The building complex covers the entire top of the cliff and from there visitors and pilgrims can enjoy all the splendor and beauty of the landscape of Meteora.
The climbing to the convent was facilitated with ladders until 1897. Afterwards, two wooden bridges served as climbing means for monks and visitors.
Nowadays, one can ascend the mountain by climbing the cement stairs and passing two small bridges, constructed in 1930 with donated money.
For the name of the monastery, there is no verified evidence. Probably the name is due to the founder of the very first church (14th-15th century).
The monastery consists of a three-floor complex. On the ground floor there are cells for the monks and guest rooms. The guesthouse and other operating spaces are located on other floors.
The Church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour was built from scratch in its current Athonite style in c. 1530 in the place of an older church ruined by the ravages of time and neglect. Its frescoes (1560) are among the most important and brilliant mural sets of the post-Byzantine era.
In 1980’s a major renovation and restoration of the monastery took place under the supervision of the seventh Byzantine Antiquity Service. Today it operates as a convent.
9.00 am to 6.00 pm
9.00 am to 1.00 pm
3.00 to 5.00 pm