The Holy Monastery of Koutloumousiou, near Karyes, the Capital of Mount Athos, was founded before 1169, when it is first mentioned in records. During the second half of the 14th century, when Chariton of Imbros was abbot, the monastery was generously endowed and restored by the princes of the lands along the Danube.
Although Chariton became metropolitan of Hungro-Wallachia in 1372, he continued to hold the office of abbot at Koutloumousi endowing the monastery and regulating relations between its Greek and Romanian monks.
The katholikon, dedicated to the Transfiguration, was built in the second half of the 14th century and was frescoed in 1744. The chapel of the Dreadfull Presentation housing the miraculous icon of the same name was built in 1733.
The monastery has jurisdiction over the nearby skete of St Panteleimon known as Koutloumousiani, and the cell of Forerunner (Prodromou) at Karyes, founded by Dionysios of Fournas.