The Holy Monastery of Archangel Michael Panormitis in Dodecanese lies next to a grove of olive trees, firs and cypresses, by the gulf of Panormos, Symi island.
It is a major greek pilgrimage site, founded during the Frankish occupation (1309 – 1522) and rebuilt in 1783 after the extensive damage it sustained in the mid-18th century. During the greek War of independence, the monastery supported the cause with money and supplies and engaged in educational activities throughout the 19th century.
The monastery’s 1783 Katholikon was lavishly decorated with frescoes painted by the karakostis brothers. Mounted on a wood-carved iconostasis, the wonder-working silver-plated icon of Archangel Michael is venerated by many pilgrims who visit the monastery to this end.